Caring for your mouth guard is essential for having a healthy mouth. It may not seem like it, but by cleaning and caring for your mouth guard, you are helping extend the condition of it, making it safe for you to wear while playing sports.
Our team is going to give you five simple ways you can care for your mouth guard right at home. Here are our suggestions:
1. Consider rinsing your mouth guard with cold water or a mouthwash before and after each time you use it.
2. Occasionally clean your mouth guard in cool, soapy water and be sure to rinse it thoroughly.
3. Never leave your mouth guard in the sun or hot water, this may cause the mouth guard to melt and reform, making it difficult to place back in your mouth.
4. Depending on the type of mouth guard you have, it generally is a good idea to keep your mouth guard in a safe, firm, ventilated container.
5. Rinse and clean your mouth guard with a toothbrush and toothpaste, as you would normally would with your teeth.
Keeping your mouth guard clean is a great and simple way you can extend its life. But over the years, you may notice some general wear and tear. If you notice holes, tears or if it has become loose and uncomfortable, it may be time to replace it. Bring your mouth guard with you during your regular dentist appointments to have your dentist exam it.
No matter what, your teeth and mouth are our priority. Please give a call today at 860-673-7155 for more information.